Panoply netCDF, HDF and GRIB Data Viewer
Verion 5.x Changelog
Version 5.3.0: Released 2023-11-30.
- Refactored acquisition of remote datasets.
- More explicitly report when dimension or dimension bounds variable unuseable due to NaN values.
- Bugfix: Map plot centering when switching from an interrupted projection to an uninterrupted projection.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 11/30).
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.2.2.
Version 5.2.10: Released 2023-11-01.
- Save address between requests when using load remote file or catalog dialog.
- Bugfix: Handling of disabled menu command keystrokes when a controls palette has focus.
- Bugfix: (macOS/Sonoma) UI misbehavior with dropdown menus if Mac updated to Sonoma.
- Bugfix: (macOS/Sonoma) Datasets panel treetable did not update highlighting highlight when selected line changed.
- Library: Updated Apache pdfbox to v. 3.0.0.
- Library: Updated pdfbox-graphics2d to v. 3.0.0.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 10/23).
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.2.1.
Version 5.2.9: Released 2023-07-31.
- Open remote catalog off the EDT.
- Improved exception reporting if unable to load remote dataset or catalog.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.1.1.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 7/28).
Version 5.2.8: Released 2023-06-30.
- Bugfix: Failed to recognize gridding if variable had a vertical axis and a single-valued time axis.
- Added status bar to Preferences window.
- Added next/prev buttons to unified controls palette panel selector.
- Minor UI control tweaks and optimizations.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 6/20).
- Library/Bugfix: Reverted slf4j to v. 1.7.32.
Version 5.2.7: Released 2023-05-30.
- Bugfix: Handling of trajectory time axis if it contained NaN values.
- Bugfix: Enabled status of Show/Hide Info button in Sources window toolbar.
- Bugfix: Was not displaying macOS native filechooser if on x86 (Intel) Mac.
- Allow for plotting some SMAP L2 data using trajectory code.
- Library: Updated slf4j to v. 2.0.7.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.1.0.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 5/24).
Version 5.2.6: Released 2023-04-28.
- Bugfix: Some included ACT color tables were not correctly encoded.
- Allow for wraparound when making a line plot using longitude as the axis.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.9.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 4/10).
Version 5.2.5: Released 2023-03-31.
- Minor tweaks to preference panel layouts.
- If using a unified controls palette, include View menu items (with keystrokes) for cycling through palette panels.
- Bugfix: Handling of projected grid lon-lat data on the spheroid when no semi-minor axis specified and inverse-flattening was set to 0.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.8.
Version 5.2.4: Released 2023-02-28.
- Addded specialized GOES Imager projected lon-lat grid handler rather than use Geostationary if specific GOES conditions are met.
- Re-organized "General" and "Line Plots" panels in preferences window.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 2/3).
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.7.
Version 5.2.3: Released 2022-12-31.
- (Windows/Linux) Trigger the all-windows-closed quit watcher more predictably.
- Make unified controls palette the default for new installs.
- Bugfix: Albers equal-area conic gridding was not using more flexible spherical case code when applicable.
- Bugfix: Preferences for some colorbar enum settings not tracked correctly.
- Added several OCM color tables.
- Improved consistency of managing min and max constraints on plot label font sizes, line weights, etc.
- Bugfix: Layout of contours control panel.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.6.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 12/12).
- Library: Updated Apache pdfbox to v. 2.0.27.
- Library: Updated pdfbox-graphics2d to v. 0.42.
Version 5.2.2: Released 2022-10-30.
- Bugfix: 1D data mistakenly identified as 2DGeo-plottable when coordinate system reported presence of pressure and time vars but which shared a dimension.
- (macOS) Provide download specifically for M1/M2 Mac with ARM64 Java.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.4 (snapshot 10/24).
Version 5.2.1: Released 2022-09-29.
- Bugfix: Visibility of plot control palettes if animation canceled before completion.
- Bugfix: Enabled status of plot control items in Window menu if animation canceled before completion.
- Provide UI feedback if user specifies plot scale units incompatible with data units.
Version 5.2.0: Released 2022-08-31.
- Enabled accessing remote netCDF and HDF datasets hosted on an S3 server, if address can be specified using a bucket and key in the form "cdms3://authority/bucket?key" (preferred) or "s3://bucket/key" (AWS only, deprecated).
- Re-factored bookmarks/history code to allow for non-File/HTTP/HTTPS addresses (e.g., S3).
- Bugfix: Possibility that Interpolate menu command might double-fire; more so if plot or data array very large.
- Bugfix: Rendering of color table combobox after selection changed.
- Library: Use a build of netCDF-Java (v. 5.5.3) that includes optional S3 module.
Version 5.1.1: Released 2022-07-21.
- Allow drag-and-drop into Sources window of datasets with non-recognized extensions.
- Allow specifying datasets with non-recognized extensions when launched from command line with options.
- Improve exception reporting if failure while trying to open a purported dataset.
- Improve exception reporting if unable to create line plot due to redundant axis values.
- Enable plotting Albers EA conic projected data on the oblate spheroid.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.3 (final).
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.5.
Version 5.1.0: Released 2022-06-22.
- Java 11 is now required to run Panoply.
- Added preference to display plot controls in a single unified floating palette, with drop-down menu selector.
- Tweak layout of contour plot controls and preferences.
- Bugfix: Some colorbar tickmarks on logarithmic scale were missing depending on overall min-max range.
- Add option to specify alternative length of major scale colorbar tickmarks.
- Bugfix: Possible failure to close open control palettes when parent plot window is closed.
- Re-organized View menu.
- Finally assigned Create Plot menu item a keystroke.
Version 5.0.6: Released 2022-05-29.
- Allow for non-trajectory featureType data that might be plottable on auxiliary lon-lat grid.
- Bugfix: Handling of auxiliary lon-lat grid bounds info if cells had other than four corners.
- Bugfix: Possible failure to open remote catalog.
- Bugfix: Trajectory gridder did not apply back-up missing/invalid value test.
- Bugfix: Possible array index exception when gridding very large arrays.
- Reverted look-and-feel on Linux to "cross-platform" metal LaF.
- Enabled KMZ export for lon-lat trajectory plots.
- Bugfix: If map plot lon and lat grid spacing unlinked, setting either to "None" also disabled the other.
- Bugfix: Updating other lon or lat grid spacing menu when spacing is linked.
- Further tuning to calculation of simplification tolerance of line plots with a large number of points.
- Altered layout of data panel when working with a horizontal line plot.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.4.
Version 5.0.5: Released 2022-04-29.
- Bugfix: Datasets browser showed full path for datasets rather than just file name.
- Bugfix: NPE when trying to add remote dataset to datasets browser display.
- Library: Updated Apache pdfbox to v. 2.0.26.
- Library: Updated pdfbox-graphics2d to v. 0.38.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.3 (snapshot 4/11).
Version 5.0.4: Released 2022-04-15.
- Bugfix: Clicks with modifiers in the Datasets browser panel were ignored.
- Bugfix: Display of max memory in About window.
- Bugfix: Loading remote dataset requiring autthentication failed before login dialog displayed.
Version 5.0.3: Released 2022-03-31.
- Bugfix: When animating a plot, menu items in any other open plot windows that should have been disabled were not.
- Disable items in History and Bookmarks menu when animation in progress.
- If a data group has a "long_name" or "title" attribute, display it in the Datasets browser panel.
- Library: Updated GISSmap to v. 3.0.3.
Version 5.0.2: Released 2022-02-27.
- Minor re-organization of color contour scale controls.
- Bugfix: "Animation in progress" floating window did not go away at animation completion.
- Bugfix: Some UI elements in Sources window and some File menu items that should be disabled during animation were not.
- Reduce redundant window listener/adapter code.
- Bugfix: Possible index-out-of-range error when reading very small 2D array.
Version 5.0.1: Released 2022-01-30.
- Bugfix: NPE creating new plot dialog if variable has an indirect axis that is scalar.
- Bugfix: "Unconventional" lon/lat coordinate vars that were previously recognized were not in release 5.0.0.
- Bugfix: Too much "chunking" overlap when working with extremely large 2D arrays.
- Allow larger "chunking" when working with extremely large 2D arrays if it appears there may be sufficient memory.
- Enable use of Open button in Sources window toolbar to open item selected in Bookmarks panel.
- Bugfix: Some menu items that should be disabled during animation were not.
- Bugfix: Plot controls palettes visibility if user switches between apps during animation.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.2.
- Library: Updated Apache pdfbox to v. 2.0.25.
Version 5.0.0: Released 2022-01-02.
- Re-designed plot controls UI to use palettes (floating windows) instead of tab panes.
- Added option to display color contour plot colorbar vertically at right of plot.
- Added ability to include/exclude some plot elements.
- Border weight may be set for all plot types.
- Plot size adjusts following any change in label font sizes.
- Color table popup menus distinguish between favorites at top, and others below.
- Map projection popup menus distinguish between favorites at top, and others below.
- Map overlay popup menus distinguish between favorites at top, and others below.
- Refactored preferences UI and numerous options due to new and changed plot options.
- Bugfix: Bookmarks menu did not update immediately following a bookmark moved, renamed or deleted event.
- Library: Updated netCDF-Java to v. 5.5.1.
- Removed support for "absolute time" axes.