Electromagnetic Scattering by Particles and Surfaces
19th Electromagnetic and Light Scattering Conference ELS-XIX, 13 - 17 July 2020, ITMO University, St. Petersburg, Russia
Call for nominations. There will be three
presented at the 19th Electromagnetic and Light Scattering Conference
ELS-XIX, 13-17 July 2020, St. Petersburg, Russia:
- The 2020 Hendrik Van de Hulst Award intended to to celebrate the life-time
achievements of a prominent scientist who has made landmark original contributions to the
research field of electromagnetic scattering and its applications (see
- The 2020 Peter C. Waterman Award presented to an outstanding early
career scientist in the category of electromagnetic scattering (see
- The 2020 Richard M. Goody Award presented to an outstanding early career scientist in the category of atmospheric radiation and remote sensing (see announcement).
- The 2020 Hendrik Van de Hulst Award intended to to celebrate the life-time achievements of a prominent scientist who has made landmark original contributions to the research field of electromagnetic scattering and its applications (see announcement);
- Call for nominations: the 2019 Arago Award in Polarimetric Remote Sensing will be presented at the APOLO-2019 conference, 4-8 November 2019, Lille, France
- 2nd Conference on "Advancement of POLarimetric Observations: instruments, calibration, and improved aerosol and cloud retrievals" APOLO-2019, 4-7 November 2019, Lille, France
Congratulations to the recipients of two Elsevier awards presented at the ELS-XVIII conference: Dr. Johannes Markkanen (2019 Waterman Award) and Dr. Jing Li (2019 Goody Award)!
Congratulations to the recipients of two Elsevier awards presented at the RAD-19 conference: Dr. Andrew Lacis (2019 Poynting Award) and Dr. Sophia Haussener (2019 Viskanta Award)!
Elsevier has launched a novel broad scope open access journal Physics Open covering all areas of physics and related interdisciplinary areas - be that fundamental or applied.
- Database of Scattering and Radiative Properties of Morphologically Complex Carbonaceous Aerosols
18th Electromagnetic and Light Scattering Conference ELS-XVIII, 9-14 June 2019, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou city, Zhejiang province, China
- 9th International Symposium on Radiative Transfer, RAD-19, 3-7 June 2019, Athens, Greece
Congratulations to the recipients of three Elsevier awards presented at the combined ELS-XVII / LIP2018 conference: Professor Leung Tsang (2018 Van de Hulst Award), Dr. Amos Egel (2018 Waterman Award), and Dr. Dmitry S. Efremenko (2018 Goody Award)!
PIERS'2018 in Toyama, 1-4 August 2018, Focus/Special Session: Light Scattering and Radiative Transfer: Basic Research and Applications. Abstract submission deadline: 1 March 2018.
- 10 years of Elsevier/JQSRT awards.
17th Electromagnetic and Light Scattering Conference ELS-XVII, 4-9 March 2018, College Station, TX, USA
11th International Conference on Laser-light and Interactions with Particles, 4-9 March 2018, College Station, TX, USA
1st International Workshop on Advancement of POLarimetric Observations: calibration and improved aerosol retrievals, APOLO-2017, 24-27 October 2017, Hefei, China
Special session on Light Scattering and Radiative Transfer: Basic Research and Applications, Fall AGU Meeting, New Orleans, 11-15 December 2017
Special session on Light Scattering and Radiative Transfer: Basic Research and Applications, PIERS 2017 in Singapore, 19-22 November, 2017
Congratulations to the winners of the 2016 and 2017 Elsevier and Elsevier/JQSRT Awards presented at ELS-XVI: Petr Chylek (2017 van de Hulst Award), Feng Xu (2016 Waterman Award), Chao Liu (2017 Waterman Award), Sergey Korkin (2016 Goody Award), and Rajan Chakrabarty (2017 Goody Award)
The 16th Electromagnetic and Light Scattering Conference ELS-XVI, University of Maryland/College Park, MD, USA, 19-25 March 2017.
- Maniac Lecture on "How much first-principle physics do we need in remote-sensing and atmospheric-radiation research" (NASA GSFC, 26 January 2015).
Conference on Radiation mechanisms of astrophysical objects: classics today, 21-25 September 2015, St.Petersburg, Russia
- Congratulations to the 2014 and 2015 Elsevier and Elsevier/JQSRT awardees: George Kattawar, Dan Mackowski, Svend-Age Biehs, Aristi Christofi, Vijay Natraj, and Lei Bi
Conference on Electromagnetic and Light Scattering ELS-XV: Celebrating 150 Years of Maxwell's Electromagnetics, 21-26 June 2015, Leipzig, Germany
IAU Symposium 305 on Polarimetry: From the Sun to Stars and Stellar Environments, Punta Leona, Costa Rica, November 30 - December 5, 2014
New book: Mishchenko M. I., 2014:
Electromagnetic Scattering by Particles and Particle Groups: An Introduction,
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Front Matter PDF
- 10th International Conference on Laser-light and Interactions with Particles, August 25-29th, 2014, Marseille, France
- International Conference on Electromagnetic and Light Scattering XIV, Lille, France, 17-21 June 2013
- The 2011 Imact Factor of the Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer is 3.193. See comparison with related journals
- The first Van de Hulst Light-Scattering Award from Elsevier was presented to Professor Joachim (Joop) Hovenier
A new multiple sphere T-matrix Fortran code
for use on parallel computer clusters developed by Dan Mackowski.
- Download PDF of JQSRT paper.
- A new book on Polarimetric Remote Sensing of Solar System Objects is now available on-line in the .pdf format.
- NATO Advanced Study Institute on "Special Detection Technique (Polarimetry) and Remote Sensing", Kyiv, Ukraine, 12-25 September 2010
- New book in Russian: Mishchenko, M. I. (2007): Electromagnetic Scattering in Discrete Random media: Fundamental Theory and Applications, Kyiv-New York (Habilitation Doctoral Thesis)
10th International Conference on "Electromagnetic and Light Scattering by Nonspherical Particles" took place 17-23 June 2007 in Bodrum, Turkey and was co-located with the 5th International Symposium on "Radiative Transfer."
- A new book has just become available: Mishchenko, M. I., L. D. Travis, and A. A. Lacis (2006): Multiple Scattering of Light by Particles: Radiative Transfer and Coherent Backscattering, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- FORTRAN codes for the computation of polarized bidirectional reflectance of statistically rough surfaces (e.g., wind-roughened ocean surfaces) are now available.
- New, fully public-domain T-matrix codes are now available. They are based on the LAPACK version of the LU-factorization procedure and contain no proprietary components. We thank Cory Davis (University of Edinburgh) for pointing out the possibility of replacing the proprietary NAG matrix inversion routine by the public-domain LAPACK equivalent.
- The third electronic release of the book on Scattering, Absorption, and Emission of Light by Small Particles is now available on-line in the .pdf format. The new release incorporates numerous minor improvements and corrections.
- Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism top a poll to find the greatest equations of all time. The Poincare-Planck-Lewis-et-al. E = mc2 and the Hilbert-Einstein equations of gravity were not even close.
- A comprehensive database of T-matrix publications is now available in the .pdf format. We plan to constantly update the database and would greatly appreciate notifying us of any corrections and missing or new references. Please communicate them to Michael Mishchenko at email@example.com.
New book on Photopolarimetry in Remote Sensing, Edited by G. Videen, Ya. Yatskiv, and M. Mishchenko (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2004).
- NATO Advanced Study Institute on "Photopolarimetry in Remote Sensing," Yalta, Ukraine, 20 September - 3 October 2003
- Special JAS issue on "Global Aerosol Climatology Project" (to receive a free copy of the special issue, please e-mail your request to Michael Mishchenko).
- Newsletter on Electromagnetic and Light Scattering
- Special Section on Electromagnetic Scattering by Nonspherical Particles, J. Geophys. Res. 104, 31,671-31,808 (1999). To receive a free copy of the special section, please e-mail your request to Michael Mishchenko. (Table of contents PDF).
- Book on "Light Scattering by Nonspherical Particles: Theory, Measurements, and Applications" is available here.
- Special JQSRT issue on "Light Scattering by Nonspherical Particles '98". Click here to see the table of contents.
PDF documents which may be linked in these pages may be viewed using Adobe's free Acrobat Reader.