SciSpace LLC: Scientific Programmer in Vegetation Modeling
SciSpace invites applications for one Scientific Programmer position at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (NASA GISS) to assist in remote sensing data processing and dynamic global vegetation modeling. Tasks will include working with a shared code repository to generate remote sensing data products and plots of them, write driver codes for the vegetation model to ingest these data, and support users of the data and model. Central to this project is the quantification of global vegetation canopy structure from satellite lidar data for simulating radiative transfer of heterogeneous canopies to improve prediction of land carbon dynamics and the global carbon cycle. Information about GISS and the project can be found at www.giss.nasa.gov/projects/ent/
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in applied math, physics, computer science, engineering, remote sensing, statistics, and/or biogeosciences with a strong computing component.
- Experience with Unix, numerical analysis and scientific programming.
- Formal training with compiled languages such as C or Fortran, and knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Familiarity with data analysis and visualization software (e.g. Python, Matlab, R, IDL)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interest to work within a group of scientists researching the Earth’s carbon cycle and climate change.
- Enjoyment with working in teams and independently.
SciSpace is particularly seeking candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience with using large satellite remote sensing data products.
- Terrestrial ecosystem science, biogeosciences, hydrology, Earth System Science.
- Radiative transfer theory and lidar waveform data
- Scientific programming and numerical model development
- High-performance computing systems
- Remote sensing of land ecosystems (e.g., vegetation, soil moisture, evapotranspiration, land cover and land use data products)
The successful candidate will provide programming support for a project led by GISS research scientist Dr. Nancy Kiang.
The position is available immediately for a period of 1 year with a possible extension and long-term potential.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
SciSpace, LLC. offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including tuition reimbursement and 401K savings plan.
Please send resume by e-mail to John Barbara (email@example.com).
SciSpace, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted 2021-01-28. Open until filled.