SciSpace LLC: Software Engineer
We are seeking a talented and driven individual for a scientific software development position. The individual will work closely with physical scientists, statisticians, and climate scientists to develop data analysis applications, data visualizations, and efficient web applications.
The successful candidate will use Python and relevant data and statistical analysis libraries to update and maintain current projects while also taking on new initiatives. The individual will be responsible for material related to the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) Temperature Analysis (GISTEMP) and will support local science teams at GISS as well as various educational institutions and government agencies.
The successful candidate will work at the offices at NASA GISS, located in New York City near the Morningside Campus of Columbia University.
Successful applicants will have the following technical skills:
- A degree (bachelors or higher) in computer science, data science, climate science or a similar field.
- Experience with Python, NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, and StatsModels for data and statistical analysis; Matplotlib, Basemap, and Cartopy for creating static and interactive data visualizations.
- Comfort using Linux-like shell scripts.
- Familiarity with cluster computing and parallel processing.
Successful applicants will have the following non-technical skills:
- Ability to work both as part of a team but also autonomously.
- Ability to research problems and implement various solutions.
- Ability to strategically analyze problems and explain solutions to non-technical personnel.
- A science background and/or interest in Earth science is also a plus
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including tuition reimbursement and 401k savings plan.
Send résumé to: John Barbara, firstname.lastname@example.org, SciSpace LLC, c/o NASA/GISS, 2880 Broadway, New York, NY 10025
SciSpace LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted 2018-10-15 Open until filled.