Columbia University, Staff Associate II
The Staff Associate II will be responsible for assisting an Adjunct Associate Research Scientist (ARS) at the Center for Climate Systems Research (CCSR) and Research Physical Scientist at NASA GISS with research project activities such as climate modeling efforts. The projects will involve programming computer climate models in diagnosing modern, past, and future changes to the hydrologic cycle, especially as it projects onto water isotopologues. Modern analyses will involve assessing mode variability, MJO, QBO, strat-trop exchange, etc. The Staff Associate II will provide assistance in setting up new paleoclimate scenarios.
The Staff Associate will assist the Adjunct ARS in the following tasks:
- Implement existing analysis scripts to the current climate model at CCSR/GISS.
- Implement existing support computer programs/scripts for running climate model.
- Develop new analysis scripts to test new paleoclimate scenarios.
- Develop existing support programs/scripts for running climate model.
- Implement small changes as appropriate related to I/O in climate model to improve water isotopologues.
The Staff Associate II will meet with the supervisor daily to discuss research activities, results and outline next steps for the work. The Staff Associate II will receive regular guidance and direction from his/her supervisor but will be expected to exercise independent judgment carrying out assigned responsibilities.
- A Bachelors degree in environmental science, computer science, Earth science, applied physics/math, or related field of study is required.
- Fluency in at least one of Python, R, C++, Matlab, IDL, Java, FORTRAN, Julia.
- Aptitude for learning FORTRAN.
- At least 2 years’ of related experience working in climate modeling. A MA degree in environmental science, computer science, earth science, applied physics/math, or related field of study can substitute for 2 years of experience.
Appointments are made on a fiscal year basis and are eligible for renewal each July 1st, contingent upon performance and funding.
The search will remain open for at least 30 days after the ad appears and will continue until the position is filled.
Columbia University benefits accompany this Officer of Research appointment.
We accept online applications only.
For information on how to apply for this position, please see the Columbia University posting.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran