G.Projector — Global Map Projector
Version 1.7.4: Released 2015-07-18.
- Added Compact Miller projection (#124).
- Added Patterson Cylindrical projection (#125).
- Added Wiechel pseudoazimuthal projection (#126).
- Added Arden-Close projection (#127).
- Added Kharchenko-Shabanova projection (#128).
- Added Urmayev Cylindrical II projection (#129).
- Added Urmayev Cylindrical III projection (#130).
- "Modified Gall" pseudocylindrical projection renamed "Gall-Bomford Pseudocylindrical".
- Added BSAM Cylindrical projection (#131).
- Added Miller Perspective Compromise projection (#132).
- Added Tobler Cylindrical I and II projections (#133, #134).
- Bugfix: Incorrect response to test for pole in inverse of Canters pseudocylindrics.
Version 1.7.3: Released 2015-06-27.
- Added menu option to save map window settings to preferences.
- Added option for overlay line style (solid, dashed, dots).
- Allow for heavier grid and overlay strokes.
- Additional styles for grid and overlay strokes.
- (Win) Added "universal" Windows version which should better adapt to computer's available memory.
Version 1.7.2: Released 2015-02-27.
- Added option for grid line style (solid, dashed, dotted).
- Added option to display grid line labels, but only enabled if map is cylindric.
Version 1.7.1: Released 2014-12-31.
- Bugfix: Mollweide projection might appear blank for some map sizes.
- Bugfix: Iteration artifacts near poles in Larrivée projection.
- Bugfix: Iteration artifacts near poles in Canters Polyconic 1989-f9 projection.
- Added Canters Polyconic 1989-f7 (#121) and 1989-f8 (#122) projections.
- "American Polyconic" projection renamed "American Polyconic (Global)", while separate "American Polyconic (Regional)" projection renamed "American Polyconic".
- Added Rectangular Polyconic projection (#123).
Version 1.7: Released 2014-11-28.
- Baker Dinomic projection may be displayed in interrupted form.
- Bugfix: Parallels not drawn for hemispheric case of Apian II.
- Added Hammer Oblique projection (#109). Specific choices for center of projection as well as scaling parameter allow for creation of Bartholomew's Nordic projection and of Briesemeister projection.
- Added Mollweide Oblique projection (#110). Specific choices for center of projection as well as "third rotation" parameter allow for creation of Bartholomew's Atlantis projection and of Fairgrieve's' projection.
- Bugfix: Discrepancy in handling margins of Cassini projection.
- Added Strebe Equal-Area projection (#111).
- Added American Polyconic projection in both global (#112) and regional/local forms (#113).
- Bugfix: Calculated scaling factor for Gott-Mugnolo Azimuthal off by about 1.5%.
- Added separate Two-Hemisphere versions of several azimuthal projections, including the Orthographic (#114), Azimuthal Equal-Area (#115), Azimuthal Equidistant (#116), Stereographic (#117), Gott-Mugnolo Azimuthal (#118), Breusing Geometric (#119), and Breusing Harmonic (#120) projections.
- Bugfix: (Windows) Again re-worked memory settings.
- Overlay file input changed to load-on-demand rather than load-on-launch.
Version 1.6.1: Released 2014-10-28.
- Extended shapefile overlay support to include point and multipoint record types.
- Added mechanism to choose shapefile overlay point symbols.
- Overlays may be opened via drag-and-drop of desktop file icon into a map window.
- Overlays imported during program use are added to menus in aphabetical position.
- Use folder-style tabs for panes in preferences window.
- Bugfix: (OS X) Mac desktop icons not displaying properly.
Version 1.6.0: Released 2014-09-19.
- G.Projector now requires Java 7 or 8.
- Use library code for saving bitmapped images.
- Added Cassini projection (#108).
- Shapefiles (.SHP) may be opened for use as overlays. Polyline and polygon shapes are included in drawn overlay outline; points, multipoints and multpatches are ignored.
- Revised selection of MWDB map overlays included in distribution.
- Memory heap specifications use Java 7 defaults.
- Increased maximum allowable dimensions for both input and output images if max JVM heap appears to allow for it. Potentially, input images may be as large as 24000×12000 and output images 20000×10000.
Version 1.5.2: Released 2014-06-30.
- Added close-all-windows keystroke.
- Preferences for saving images now based on last save action.
- Added Miller Oblated Stereographic projection (#106).
- Added Snyder GS50 projection (#107).
- Added lon-lat limit getter method in underlying library for use by other applications, e.g., Panoply.
- Library: (OS X) Upgraded Quaqua to v. 9.1.
Version 1.5.1: Released 2014-01-30.
- Added Transverse Mercator (Sphere) projection (#104).
- Added Patterson's Natural Earth projection (#105).
- Robinson projection recoded to use Beineke's approximation rather than that of Canter & Decleir.
- (Mac) OS X version requires at least "Java for OS X 10.6 Update 3", released May 2010.
Version 1.5: Released 2013-06-20.
- Added "height" option to Equirectangular oblique projection to allow for creating a non-global map.
- Added "radius" option to Orthographic projection to allow for creating zoomed-in map.
- (Mac) Use Apple application handler methods introduced in "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3".
- Bug: (Mac) Application locked up during launch if user had installed "Mac OS X v10.6 Update 16" or "Java for OS X 2013-004".
Version 1.4.9: Released 2012-12-28.
- Bugfix: Corrected mis-spelled name of Ginzburg VIII projection.
- Added Ginzburg IV projection (#100).
- Added Ginzburg V projection (#101).
- Added Ginzburg VI projection (#102).
- Added Ginzburg IX projection (#103).
- Bugfix: (Windows) Selecting an item in a control popup menu might be met with no response, depending on location of control and menu on screen.
- Maximum for the border line weight bumped from 200% up to 500%.
- Mac version now code-signed and should not be reported as damaged by OS X 10.8 Gatekeeper.
Version 1.4.8: Released 2011-11-27.
- Added Equirectangular Oblique projection (#96).
- Re-factored various azimuthal projections (equal-area, equidistant, Gott-Mugnolo, stereographic) so that "fill corners" option also worked if radius set ≥ 90°.
- Optimized drawing of parallels and meridians for all azimuthal projections for special case of center of projection at a pole.
- Added Airy projection (#97).
- Added Breusing Geometric projection (#98).
- Added Breusing Harmonic projection (#99).
Version 1.4.7: Completed 2012-05-03; version not publicly released.
- Some refactoring of the map projection class hierarchy, chiefly that cylindric and pseudocylindric projections now subclass from CylindricProjection and PseudoCylindricProjection classes.
- Added ability to label grid for cylindric projections. (Library only. Not enabled in G.Projector app.)
- Wrote custom UI to improve appearance of comboboxes with long lists of items (i.e., the projection list).
Version 1.4.6: Released 2011-04-13.
- Added Gott-Mugnolo Azimuthal projection (#95).
- Bugfix: Broken URL for application homepage in Help menu and splash window.
Version 1.4.5: Released 2011-03-18.
- A Java SE 6 runtime environment is now required to run Panoply. This means the Mac OS X version will no longer run on older G5 Macs.
- Re-factored drawing of gridlines to allow for non-integral spacing.
- Increased maximum allowable dimensions for saved output image to 7500×3750 pixels. (Note: Also increased maximum possible request for memory to allow for saving larger output images.)
- Refactored interrupted projections to use an Interruption enum.
- Re-designed popup color menus to offer more choices from a palette rather than a list.
- Added Gnomonic projection (#93).
- Added Gnomonic cubed sphere projection (#94).
- Bugfix: Red and blue levels were swapped in input PNG images using three-byte BGR format.
- Library: (Mac) Quaqua FC updated to version 7.3.4.
Version 1.4.4: Released 2010-03-24.
- Added Gringorten projection (#92).
- Re-factored drawing of parallels by creating drawParallel method.
- Eliminated distinction between screen and print for line colors and strokes.
- Added pale gray and smoke gray to choices in various color menus.
- Library: (Mac) Quaqua FC updated to version 6.4.1.
Version 1.4.3: Released 2010-02-11.
- Miller Cylindric I projection re-labeled as just "Miller Cylindric". Miller's equations allowed for an infinite number of possible variations but he indicated that just one met his requirements.
- Times Atlas projection revised to use Snyder (1993) equations rather than Snyder (1977). Parallels poleward of ±70° are lengthened, with the pole lines becoming 10% longer.
- Added Gott Equal-Area Elliptical projection (#89).
- Added Mayr projection (#90), using Ipbüker's Maclaurin series expansion to evaluate the elliptic integral.
- Added Tobler G1 projection (#91).
- Apian Globular II projection re-labeled as just "Apian II".
- Ortelius Oval modified to allow for choice of hemispheric or global display.
- Bugfix: Raisz Half-Ellipsoidal was not auto-scaled to fill map area for any tilt angle.
- Bugfix: Lines of latitude were double drawn in many projections (all azimuthals, polyconics, orthoapsidals).
- Bugfix: Meridians were drawn even when underlying map border in most projections (all cylindrics, pseudocylindrics, polyconics, orthoapsidals).
- Library: (Mac) Quaqua FC updated to version 6.4.
Version 1.4.2: Released 2010-01-22.
- Added Hill Eucyclic projection (#86).
- Apian Globular II modified to allow for choice of hemispheric or global display.
- Added Fournier Globular I projection (#87).
- Improved drawing of meridians in Eckert III and Eckert IV projections.
- Added Bacon Globular projection (#88).
- Bugfix: Conic projections drawing continental outlines outside right and bottom margins.
- Library: (Mac) Quaqua FC updated to version 6.3.1.
Version 1.4.1: Released 2010-01-11.
- Apply consistent "slop" factor to all projections to allow for possible round-off errors when testing translateLL2XY result against map margins.
- Bugfix: Map windows not correctly downsized if display smaller than default window size.
- Bugfix: Checkmark in color pop-up menus not drawn correctly for Java 1.6.0_17 on Mac OS X 10.6.
- Bugfix: Option-click (alt-click) get-info box over-corrected for map margin.
- Library: JDOM updated to version 1.1.1.
Version 1.4: Released 2009-11-19.
- Input images may be read in from GroundOverlay images referenced in OpenGIS KML and KMZ files.
- Added a new "boundaries" dialog when opening a regular map image so that user may work with non-global equirectangular source maps.
- Bugfix: Output prefs panel was missing JPEG option.
Version 1.3.2: Released 2009-10-23.
- Bugfix: Overlay menus in preferences window threw exception when "<none>" selected.
- Bugfix: Controls for second overlay in preferences window not initialized to correct values.
- Bugfix: Meridians interrupted by small gaps near equator in several projections.
- Library: (Mac) Quaqua FC updated to version 6.2.
Version 1.3.1: Released 2009-09-29.
- Added ability to save plot images in uncompressed TIFF format.
- Added ability to save plot images in JPEG format.
- Improved handling of gridline and outline drawing near edges of regional map projections (e.g., azimuthals with small radius).
- Bugfix: Wagner V projection not quite right due to a constant term omitted by source text originally used for projection equations.
- Bugfix: Sorting of projection names was not locale-friendly (i.e., Érdi-Krausz in wrong menu position).
- Library: (Mac) Quaqua FC updated to version 6.0.1.
Version 1.3: Released 2009-07-31.
- Bugfix: Localization missed some places where numerical text input was interpreted.
- Added option for higher resolution output.
- Added option to draw second overlay/outline on map.
- Bugfix: Use of Close menu command on a map window did not initiate clean-up of memory used by window.
- (Mac) Switched to Quaqua open/save file chooser with option to specify file format.
- Allow for user-specified map border weight, up to twice as heavy as max graticule or continent outline weight.
- Bugfix: XY->LL translation in Vertical Perspective could throw NaN error for some combinations of radius parameter and projection centering.
- PS/PDF output and printing always use variable weight line strokes rather than optional semi-transparent fixed-weight strokes.
Version 1.2.2: Released 2009-04-07.
- Bugfix: Lack of localization prevented use of comma as decimal separator.
Version 1.2.1: Released 2009-03-30.
- Re-factored autoscale method for all projections to provide cleaner extensibility from AbstractProjection.
- Re-factored some projections' transformation code in conjunction with documentation project.
- Added Braun Stereographic projection (#84).
- Added Braun Perspective projection (#85).
- Bugfix: Bonne projection reported lon-lat values for some pixels outside of map area.
Version 1.2: Released 2008-12-19.
- Separate projection for Interrupted form of Goode Homolosine (was #84) removed.
- Choice of uninterrupted vs. interrupted format (and type of interruption) made a user-specifiable option for twelve pseudocylindric projections, including Goode Homolosine; McBryde P3, Q3, S2 and S3; Mollweide; Boggs Eumorphic; Sinusoidal; and McBryde-Thomas Flat-Polar Parabolic, Quartic, and Sinusoidal projections.
Version 1.1.4: Released 2008-11-20.
- Sped up reading in text outline overlay file data.
- Sped up reading in of larger input map image files for several image types.
- Bugfix: Canters Polyconic 1989-f9 projection reported lon-lat values for outside-of-map areas within arc of pole curves.
- Simplified grid-drawing for pseudocylindrics.
- Added Interrupted form of Goode Homolosine projection as a separate projection (#84).
- Bugfix: Gridlines not drawn anti-aliased on some platforms/JRE combinations.
- Mac and Windows versions configured to request more memory from system, which should alleviate problems dealing with large input map images (e.g., 5400×2700 Blue Marbles).
Version 1.1.3: Released 2008-08-04.
- Added "fill corners" option to azimuthal equal-area, azimuthal equidistant and stereographic projections.
- Linux version uses default "metal" look-and-feel.
Version 1.1.2: Released 2008-03-04.
- Added Boggs Eumorphic projection (#80).
- Added Nell projection (#81).
- Added Fahey projection (#82).
- Added Bonne projection (#83).
Version 1.1.1: Released 2007-10-30.
- Bugfix: Reset button in prefs panel did not reset any projection "extra parameter" values.
- Bugfix: Equidistant conic in error for case of ϕ1 = ϕ2 and both negative valued.
- Added Urmayev sinusoidal series of projections (#79).
- (Mac) Bugfix: Anti-aliasing of map border and graticule did not work on OS X 10.5 Leopard.
- (Mac) Added large icons for OS X 10.5 Leopard cover flow.
Version 1.1: Released 2007-10-05.
- Java 1.5 is now required.
- Added equidistant conic projection (#76).
- Added Albers equal-area conic projection (#77).
- Added Lambert conformal conic projection (#78).
- Preferences can save "extra parameter" settings should a projection have such (e.g., a standard parallel).
- Added Reset button to preferences to restore default settings.
- Bugfix: AbstractProjection's drawGrid scheme messed up near poles of azimuthal projections.
- Rewrote AbstractProjection's drawPath's handling of lines which wrap around borders ±180° from central longitude.
- Other refactoring of projection codebase as part of code clean-up and shift to Java 1.5.
Version 1.0.2a: Released 2007-05-24.
- (Mac) Bugfix: If CNO file double-clicked on desktop, tried to open it as image file rather than continent data.
- Added Larrivée projection (#74).
- Added Baker Dinomic projection (#75).
- Modified Mollweide projection to allow use of Bromley variant.
- Optimizations and other internal modifications to projection codebase.
Version 1.0.1: Released 2007-04-04.
- Bugfix: Help window content could not be updated once window was created.
- Added Putniņš P2 projection (#66).
- Added Putniņš P6 projection (#67).
- Added Putniņš P6' projection (#68).
- Bugfix: Miller Cylindric I projection was missing constant scaling term in y. Also was mis-identified simply as "Miller Cylindric".
- Bugfix: Robinson projection did not scale to fit plotting area.
- Bugfix: Map window was hard-coded to a size larger than some older monitors.
- Added Times Atlas projection (#69).
- Added Modified Gall, aka Oxford Atlas, projection (#70).
- Added Pavlov projection (#71).
- Added Cylindrical Equal-Area projection (#72). Apply φts = 0.° to get Lambert's CEA projection, φts = 30.° to get Behrmann's projection, and φts = 45.° to get the Gall-Peters (aka Gall's Orthographic) projection.
- Added Ginsburg VIII projection (#73).
- Hide center-of-projection latitude input field if projection cannot be centered off the equator.
- Bugfix: Bad y-shift value for Raisz Half Ellipsoidal if tilt = 0°.
- Bugfix: Some OSes/Javas not all able to read same list of input image formats via ImageIO, e.g., Windows version unable to open TIFFs.
- (Non-Mac) Use JFileChooser rather than FileDialog for file opens and saves.
- Bugfix: App could hang when displaying Equirectangular projection and grid spacing set to 0.
Version 1.0 (Build 73D1): Released 2007-03-13.