Air Pollution as a Climate Forcing: A Workshop
Day 2: Aerosol Climatologies, Trends, and Climate Forcings
Note: All figures in the abstracts are thumbnails; click to view larger versions. PDF presentations require a copy of the free Acrobat Reader to be read.
Global Aerosol Climatologies and Trends
- Joyce Penner: Global aerosol climatologies: Are there differences between models and the real world?
- Catherine Liousse et al.: Black carbon and organic carbon emissions, climatologies and trends (PPT presentation, 1.6 MB)
- Julian Wilson et al.: How have accumulation mode aerosol number concentrations changed since pre-industrial times? (PPT presentation, 2.8 MB)
- Yoram Kaufman et al.: Global aerosol observations from MODIS on Terra satellite
- Brent Holben et al.: AERONET: Ground-based Aerosol Characterization (PPT presentation, 2.7 MB)
- Paulo Artaxo: Urban and biomass contributions to South American aerosols (PDF presentation, 5.2 MB)
- Harry ten Brink and M. Schaap: Aerosol nitrate, a dominant atmospheric trace component in Europe?!
- Jamie Schauer: How well can we apportion/speciate PM/BC by source in the U.S. and Europe?
- Urs Baltensperger: What relevant information is provided by GAW stations, ice cores? (PPT presentation, 3.2 MB)
- Can we decrease black carbon (BC)
aerosols enough to alleviate the global warming
"bounce" that will accompany "clear-sky" initiatives that are
expected to greatly reduce reflecting aerosols in places such
as the U.S. and China?
What information/research is needed to better address this issue? (Chair: Tami Bond)
Aerosol Climate Forcing
- John Seinfeld: Direct aerosol forcing (PPT presentation, 4.7 MB)
- Tica Novakov: Air pollution as a climate forcing
- Tami Bond: Global black carbon emission inventories (PPT presentationi, 1.1 MB)
- Mark Jacobson: Controlling current and future diesel emissions and other sources of fossil-fuel particulate black carbon and organic matter as an effective method of slowing global warming
Aerosol Indirect and Regional Climate Effects
- Leon Rotstayn: Indirect aerosol climate forcing (PDF presentation, 8.1 MB)
- Barry Huebert: A few insights on air pollution and climate from ACE-Asia (PPT presentation, 4.0 MB)
- Yunfeng Luo: Some evidence for regional climate effects in China (PPT presentation, 8.0 MB)
- A. Jayaraman: Aerosol forcings inferred from INDOEX and estimated regional effects
- Surabi Menon et al.: Climate effects of aerosols in China and India (PPT presentation, 1.0 MB)
- Are aerosols responsible for important regional climate anomalies,
e.g., the increasing tendency for droughts in northern China,
Afghanistan, and other places?
What information/research is needed to better address this issue? (Chair: Greg Carmichael)
Related Poster Presentations
- Mian Chin: Black carbon aerosols: A burning question (PPT presentation, 0.3 MB)
- Makiko Sato et al.: Black carbon global climate forcing inferred from AERONET
- Dorothy Koch et al.: Historical (1875-1990) aerosol emissions and simulations
- Mian Chin and Paul Ginoux: From regional emission to global atmospheric loading: Intercontinental transport of aerosols in the context of ACE-Asia (PPT presentation, 0.3 MB)
- G. Stenchikov et al.: Radiative forcing and photochemical effects of regional aerosol pollution